Several months ago, the Target near our house had a bunch of children's bedding on clearance. I didn't pay much attention at first because the smallest size (twin) was still too big for Hannah Grace's crib mattress. However, once I saw the $4.49 cent price tag on the sheet set, which included a flat sheet, fitted sheet, and two pillowcases, I knew I could do something with it. I decided to buy two sheet sets, which means I got at least four yards of fabric for less than $10.
To make a long story short, I made a little bedding set for Hannah Grace. It includes a fitted crib sheet, a blanket (the polka dot is ultra cuddle fleece from JoAnn; I used the fabric as the sheet backing, as you can sort of tell in the picture), and a pillowcase, combining it with another fabric that brought the color scheme together. I also made a changing pad cover, but I don't have a picture of it.
In case you were wondering, the main fabric on the pillowcase was already put together that way. I don't yet have the patience (or time) to cut so many little squares out and sew them together just for the sake of a pillowcase!
|. . . and about 45 seconds later. Ahem. Good going, Mommy.|
I'm really pleased with how everything turned out, and that I was able to use a few variations of fabric to bring the other things (her curtains and diaper stacker) together. And for right around $30, the price can't be beat!
If anyone is curious, the tutorial I used for the crib sheet can be found here. The tutorial I used for the pillowcase can be found here.
For the polka dotted blanket I just sewed the right sides together (leaving a space to turn), turned it right side out, and top stitched all the way around. I decided to take some embroidery floss and tie it in a few places just to hold the blanket together a little more, but that isn't necessary. I really just wanted to see what it would look like!